CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

1/23/07

HOMESCHOOL HATERS...

Anyone who has ever home schooled their children has been
confronted at least once by a person who is absolutely
appalled with everything having to do with homeschooling.

Today was one of those days for me.
I was getting an echo cardiogram and as I lay there the
technician asked me about my children. Inevitably school came up
and I told her we homeschool.

Hooo My Gracious! She tensed up and I could feel the room begin to
grow very cold.

(As you read this, please picture the position I was in trying to
have this conversion..
Heart Ultrasound...HEART...I was naked having this conversation...
Okay now I'll begin the dialogue)

Tech: You homeschool all of your children; Even the 14 year old?
Me: Yes
Tech: Do you teach him World History?
Me: When he asks about it.
Tech: You don't teach him.
Me: I just said that I do.
Tech: Do you teach him Calculus?
Me: Heavens No.
Tech: YOU DON'T! They have to have 2 years of calculus in high school!
Me: No they don't.
Tech: Yes they Do!
Me: 9th grade algebra I, 10th grade geometry, 11th grade algebra II,
senior year Trigonometry.
Tech: silent
Me: silent
Tech: He will need Calculus. You can't possibly teach him that.
Me: Do you use it with your job?
Tech: silent
Me: silent
Tech: Does he even get a choice? I mean can he get the chance to go
to school if he wants to?
Me: Yes, my children have that choice which is more than I can say
for most public schooled children. He also began college this month.
Tech: He's 14.
Me: Yes
Tech: Which college?
Me: (i stated the college)
Tech: Oh that's where my children went. My daughter teaches high
school Chemistry.
Me: I feel for the teachers. There's so much bureaucracy. Did she
like (said college)?
Tech: Yes they have to deal with alot. They can't teach like they
really want to. Yes both of my children liked (said college). My brother is
a high school principal. He is all some of those kids have you know.
Me: Which school?
Tech: (local high school)
Me: oh my I really feel for him. They've had a lot of scandal there
this year.
Tech: Yes it's been rough. You know, My children had many choices in
high school. They took foreign languages, played sports and were
able to test out of many classes when they began college.
Me: That's really cool. Our oldest son has taken french and fences
competitively, our 10 and 6 year olds play basketball, our 10 year old
takes horse lessons and will begin competing pretty soon and our 14
year old will have an associate degree when he graduates from high
school.
Tech: silent
Me: silent and smirking
Tech: smirking
Me: You're against homeschooling huh?
Tech: No, No, It's just that they need high school.
Me: I can tell you like to take charge and know what you believe.
Tech: (smiles) Yes
Me: You would have been a great homeschool mom.
Tech: (laughs waits a second) Yes
Me: (getting dressed) It's been fun sparring with you.
Tech: (laughs) Yes it has.

That my friends will inevitably go down in the books as the most
memorable homeschool debate I'll ever have! Me held captive and naked and the opponent stabbing me with a stick. LOL

2 comments:

HISchild said...

WOW!!! I would have loved to have been there(all except for the naked part).

You left her with something to think about. I think that these types of conversation should end with you feeling good about your choice and the other person with something to consider. For that to happen, you have to have deep conviction about what you are doing and the fortitude to tell it like it is.

Thank you for being such a good example. ;)

Heather said...

I've as yet only had surprise positive experiences, but then again, I've only been at it for not-quite-one year.

You know, MWB, you are the positive face of homeschooling that helped me consider it.
And we know where that led!