CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

10/19/10

REAL LIFE

I enjoy looking at past scrapbooks, pictures in our frames and updates on my Facebook status because all of those things highlight the good that I see in our family.  The kids are usually discovering something new in the photos and have smiling faces.  They sit ever so still in the pictures, obeying my fanciful wishes for order.

I've often said that there is a Facebook version of our family life and then there's reality.  Some people get a chuckle or two from that remark, but it's true and might as well be put out there.


The picture frame, scrapbook, Facebook version of life is pretty.  It's the best of the chaos and I like it.

My goal for this school year, however, is to journal daily in this blog. The two hard cover volumes printed from this blog are read and flipped through quite often by our kids.  They enjoy the memories and pictures.  Sometimes, while reading the stories, because they have grown and matured, the boys will see things from a very different perspective.  The topics have sparked more than one family night chat and that, my friends, is the spice of life right there. 

My hope is to create more book volumes as time goes by, but detail more of the angst as well as highlight the good.  I would hate to create false memories for the boys.  I don't want them to judge their future lives by the "pretty" version they read in the books.  I feel that it's important for them to remember that families have hard times too; that the successes were hard fought and the road of life is usually filled with boulders that need to be moved.


Though there is something to be said for "private thoughts" and keeping notions to oneself, I'm hoping to open up more than I would normally; to channel the thoughts out of my brain, not so much for the world to see, but for my sanity and the kids future amusement, insight and clarity.

Yes, I'll be blogging more. It's boring to most, interesting to us.  It is what it is.

1 comment:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

I am looking forward to hear more from you as I am a homeschooling Foster Care Alumni, this should be interesting.