CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

6/13/11

I USED TO BE A GIRL SCOUT BUT...

I'm on lower right with my mouth wide open LOL
I used to be a Girl Scout and my mom was our Troop Leader.  My friends and I had fun selling cookies and all that jazz.  We had little candle ceremonies and earned badges.  It was good, wholesome fun that I remember fondly.

Last year I was so excited when it became apparent that we would be able to adopt our daughter.  I began looking into the scouts and all the girly things that I had not been able to enjoy as the mother of only boys.  I looked to and fro to find things for my new daughter to become involved. As I looked at the newest Girl Scout information, however, I was absolutely shocked with what I found.


Here is a tidbit from just one national council:
"The World Association of Girl Scouts and Girl Guides hosted a no-adults-welcome panel at the United Nations this week where Planned Parenthood was allowed to distribute a brochure entitled “Healthy, Happy and Hot.” The event was part of the annual United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) which concludes this week. The brochure, aimed at young people living with HIV, contains explicit and graphic details on sex, as well as the promotion of casual sex in many forms. The brochure claims, “Many people think sex is just about vaginal or anal intercourse… But, there are lots of different ways to have sex and lots of different types of sex. There is no right or wrong way to have sex. Just have fun, explore and be yourself!”

Now lets just say that this was all a big misunderstanding...Let's just pretend all that didn't happen...This still doesn't stave off the fact that the Girl Scouts have changed over the years, and not in a good way.

Let's look at what the Girls Scouts stand for these days....FOR SURE...Here are some of the Formal Policies of the Girl Scouts.

Official Girl Scout policy…
“The Girl Scout organization does not endorse or promote any particular philosophy or religious belief. Our movement is secular and is founded on American democratic principles, one of which is freedom of religion. Although Girl Scouts has policies supporting religious diversity, there is no policy by Girl Scouts of the USA that prohibits or requires the saying or singing of a grace, blessing, or invocation before meals by Girl Scout members in a troop/group setting, in a resident or day camp, or at meetings, conferences, and other large events. The decision to say a grace, blessing, or invocation is made locally at the troop or group level, and should be sensitive to the spiritual beliefs of all participants.Citation: "What We Stand For" (PDF). Girl Scouts of the USA. December 30, 2003. Retrieved September 25, 2006.

The Girl Scout Promise: Flexibility
“The Girl Scout organization does not endorse or promote any particular philosophy or religious belief. Our movement is secular and is founded on American democratic principles, one of which is freedom of religion. That is why Girl Scouting provides flexibility in speaking the Girl Scout Promise. An individual member may use the word or words for “God” that best reflect her own spiritual beliefs. While we believe the motivating force in Girl Scouting is a spiritual one, we do not attempt to dictate the form or style of a member’s worship. Religion is a private matter for girls and their families to address”
Citation: "What We Stand For" (PDF). Girl Scouts of the USA. December 30, 2003. Retrieved September 25, 2006.

Me, lower right, beside my friend Lawana
So, at the very least, The Girls Scouts have declared themselves to be a secular society. If I were a secular mother this would sit quite well with me; but I am not a secular mom raising my child in secular ways.  I am a Christian mother raising my daughter in a Christian family and we choose the Christian path. When it came to signing my child up for this "scouting troop" I had to ask myself... .

1. How can I, as a faithful Christian, put my money and my child’s soul into the hands of such an organization that calls themselves a “spiritual one” but promotes the “choice” to serve any God?
2. What “spirit” is our cookie money going to promote?
3. Which “spirit” is my child going to learn about at national meetings?

We aren't the only people asking these questions.  The Boy Scouts have also decided that the Girl Scouts do NOT reflect their values.  The Boy Scouts have joined with the American Heritage Girls...and ONLY The American Heritage Girls.

My husband and I chose to walk away from the secular society.  We couldn't hand our daughter over to them. I'm not happy about it but this is exactly the kind of thing that we have to keep our eye on when we decide to live a Christian life and raise Christian children.  We, as parents, MUST keep our eyes wide open and read the writing on the wall as things change...even if it does mean that our old memories will be turned upside-down.

My fond memories will not be the the ones my daughter will experience.  She won't wear the same uniform I wore, or sell the same cookies I sold.  I'm bummed, but not completely forlorn.  I am happy to have an alternative....a Christian alternative....for her to experience, but still, it gives me a pain to have to turn my back on the Scouting that I loved so much.

My daughter has happily joined the American Heritage Girls and has been having a ball.  AHG is distinctly Christ Centered and specifically Christian.  The AHG Statement of Faith is as follows...

American Heritage Girls is a Christ centered scouting organization. The following Statement of Faith applies to all American Heritage Girls' Charter Organizations, Adult Members and Adult Volunteers..

"We believe that there is One Triune God - Father, Jesus Christ His one and only Son, and the Holy Spirit - Creator of the universe and eternally existent. We believe the Holy Scriptures (Old/New Testament) to be the only inspired and authoritative word of God. We believe each person is created in His image for the purpose of communing with and worshiping God. We believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit who enables us to live a Godly life. We believe that each individual is called to love the Lord their God with all their heart, mind, soul and strength; and to love their neighbors as themselves. We believe that each individual is called to live a life of purity, service, stewardship and integrity".

Clarity is further provided to the following terms:

Purity - An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness, being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman.
Service - An AHG member is called to become a responsible member of their community and the world through selfless acts, which contribute to the welfare of others.

Jaibrian the night she became an AHG Tenderheart
Stewardship - An AHG member is called to use their God given time, talents and money wisely.

Integrity - An AHG member is called to live a moral life, demonstrating the inward motivation to do what is right, regardless of the cost.

Now that there is an alternative to the Secular society I have to wonder if our Protestant Churches and the Catholic Archdiocese will continue to support the Secular organization or begin to back the Christ Centered one?

Time will tell.

As for we and our house.... our money, our time and our child will serve the Lord....Jesus...THE Only Choice for us.

6 comments:

Crazy Working Mom said...

It's hard being a Christian Mother/Family in a secular world. But, we have been told by our father that as they hated him, they will also hate us. I am very proud of you for standing up for what you believe in and standing your grounds on this...and more importantly educating others on this subject!!! I am going to check into this AHG to see if there is a local chapter.

Thanks, again for the info!

momwithbrownies said...

You're very welcome. My first cousin lives in Maine. There is a Girl Scout chapter in her area that has a Wiccan leader. This is not the GS I grew up with.

More and more churches are backing The American Heritage Girls. There are many troops popping up in America and abroad...even in Japan!

I hope you find one near you...and if not...maybe there is a group of women willing to start one in your church/denomination?

Please keep me posted! I'll definitely write about it. :o)

Anni said...

Thanks for writing such a great article about AHG. I'm the troop coordinator of AHG IN1931 in West Lafayette, Indiana, and we love AHG! Our daughters have grown in so many ways because of AHG. Many blessings on your years in AHG!

tammy said...

Love your post and agree wholeheartedly! I just wrote one about AHG a few weeks ago. :) Here's the link if you'd like to check it out. My daughter is having a blast!!


http://momofjstk.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-i-was-looking-for.html

Christy said...

We are not supposed to "walk away from the secular world." Did Jesus walk away from the secular world? Did the apostles? It is the obligation of every Christian to fulfill the Great Commission, and we cannot do that if we cut ourselves off from the rest of society.

momwithbrownies said...

Hi Christy,

Thank you for your comment. I understand where you are coming from and I do agree that our children can love their non-Christian friends.

Enrolling them into AHG, Sunday School, Catechism...all of these things aid in teaching our children in the way they should go so that when they are old, they will not depart from it.

They will be able to fulfill the Great Commission better if/when they have the knowledge and spiritual fortitude to do so.

We can be in this world but not "of" this world. When they become adults...and when they engage in friendships with non-Christians during childhood...they can still love their neighbor....while getting the very much needed guidance through Christian Training in church and from AHG...and other Christian teaching organizations.

We use AHG as a teaching ground. I hope that clarifies my opinion.