CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

2/7/07

I BROKE MY LEG..SURGERY TOMORROW

I'm high. It's true. Hydrocodone is my new best friend. Sorry Heather W. but
Starbuck's doesn't touch this stuff. LOL

I'm trying to type this while lying down and also with a cordless keyboard
from 7 feet away from the screen so there ya go. hope you can read this.

My wonderful husband and I decided to go on a date last Saturday. We enjoyed the movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness." We sat in the lower level where the handicapped area is located. This particular movie theater has steps one must climb to get to the lower level seating. After the movie, I stepped down onto the floor missing the bottom step, overextended my knee, breaking it immediately in two places. (one of my breaks looks a lot like the lower break on that web-site picture) I went down like a led balloon. I had a nice cry, scream, panic type episode that led to me going into shock.

My pants were cut from my body in the theater. The ambulance women were very nice and gave me 8 units of morphine before I got to the hospital, the first 3 were administered through my IV before leaving the theater. My body didn't tolerate the pain very well. As I said I went into shock and for those who have never done that I would not recommend it. For those who have I am so sad to have joined your ranks.

I've been out like a light for the past few days and the pain is really just
starting to take hold so I'll be out again today too. I have surgery
tomorrow. They will place a plate and pins in my knee. I broke it in two
places. One goes from the top of my tibia joint straight through down about
4 inches until it tapers out to the left and out of the bone, like an ice
burg shaving off to fall into the sea. The other is to the right at the top
of my tibia. I smashed it. They have to put bone or something there to
rebuild that area.

I most certainly didn't hear what I wanted to hear at the surgeon
yesterday. It probably won't be an outpatient surgery like the ER doctor
thought. I will be in bed on my back, no bending the knee, with it elevated
above my heart after the surgery (at home) for about a month. Then I'll
probably have to have rehab to get my leg moving again and to find out what
my range of motion will be after this. I stupidly asked if I would be able
to use the elliptical machine after all is said and done and his words were,
"Shelly, when a person breaks their leg in the joint it isn't a good thing.
You have broken your leg in the joint in TWO places."

Have you ever had a moment of awakening? "It" dawned on me...so
I said, "I'm not getting it am I." He looked me in the eye and said, "Both
breaks are serious." So I cried with the knowing that I have a life-long injury.
He went on to say that I will eventually need a total knee replacement.
Oh well, like I said, it's not what I wanted to hear but hey, I'm here and I have wonderful friends to help me through this.

My mom has travelled through 3 states to be here with me. She is watching our 5 sons. God love her! :-) She is here until the 23rd. Thank God for that. The last week of bed-rest my husband will be here on "vacation" I have a wonderful family. I am very blessed.

Ideas for things to do flat on my back are very welcome! :-)

Well I'm going to sleep. The meds are kicking in again!

I just can't believe my life! LOL

No comments: