CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

4/20/07

MEMORY: The Cheerleader and the Captain

I sat down in my college Humanities class ready to relax. Yes, College classes are my relaxation. I really like them because I get out of the house, broaden my mind, get to talk to all kinds of interesting people, and the "A" at the end of the course just does something for my ego that nothing else can. LOL

I sat down, looked around and began talking, of course. If you know me, I didn't have to say that but for those who don't, I felt the need to assert that statement. :-)

I talked with a woman who is probably 10 years older than I. As we talked, the subject of homeschooling came up. Unbeknownst to me we were being eavesdropped on and thus our conversation was interrupted. A girl in her late teens/early 20's butted right into our moment of shared relaxation to ask me why I would "do that to my kids." "Doesn't your son want to have friends? Does he even know what he's missing?"

I looked at her and purposely paused just long enough to make her uncomfortable. I then grinned a little grin as I do when I think I'm about to be incorrigible. My gaze slowly moved to the boy to whom she had been speaking. I deducted the reason behind her words quite quickly. I asked the boy what he thought and he said, "All I know is that high school was the best time of my life."

THAT'S when I knew...

It was at about that time I realized, the entire class was sitting, the teacher had not yet arrived and you could hear a pin drop. They had all heard her statement and was waiting for a reply. Maybe they are all interested in how I'm raising my kids...who knew?!

I looked at the young girl and boy and said,"Let me guess." as I pointed to them in consecutive order, "Cheerleader, Captain of the football team"

She said, "Yes" He said, "Captain of the Baseball team" I immediately looked around the room. I pointed to a 20 something girl. "You have fond memories of high school?" "No" came here reply. I pointed to another girl, "You?" "No" came her reply. I then turned to the cheerleader and ball player. "You guys are a very small minority. Most people spend the rest of their lives trying to get over the trauma of high school, the rest spend their days wishing they could go back." There were sideways grins and heads nodding all over the room. The teacher walked in and class began.

As I turned around I hoped that I was right but knew that I am proof that, that statement isn't true. I had friends in high school but nothing lasting. I was liked and not teased though I was strange and hard to figure out. I just didn't care for social stuff and didn't care what anybody thought about anything at all . I don't wish to go back and I don't have to get over any trauma. I just sort of blanked it all out and felt like a big weight was lifted from me when I got that diploma because I knew I was in charge of my life. I could get out and away and live and that would have been great if it could have happened years before. I felt like I had wasted valuable time.

So I had to ask myself. Why AM I doing this to my kids?

I'm trying to let them experience the real world before they are 18 and graduate. You know, that magical number when other kids graduate and people tell them "welcome to the real world" I'm trying to help them live in the moment and have opportunities other than the average joe. I'm trying. Only time will tell if I know what the heck I'm doing. Like most parents our decision to homeschool was a parental choice made from much thought and love.

I couldn't help but notice that the boy never came back to class. The girl however, was talkative the whole semester and I think a bit better informed about what socialization means. I wonder if I planted a seed of thought?

That's my memory boys. Yet another reason why we raised you the way we did. I hope this helps in your therapy. :-)

1 comment:

Heather said...

If high school is the best time of their lives, it's all downhill after 18. How sad.

Doesn't say much for their idea of adulthood, does it?

And I know how "friendless" your boys are. I'm surprised you don't have a fire hose sometimes to get the kids out of your yard! :)