CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

4/15/08

THE DOLLAR DAYS OF PARENTING

We all know that parenting can be a challenge, especially on those days when the whole house seems to be falling down around your ears and the kids pick that day to have a bad attitude. That has happened to me, (and them) on more than one occasion so I did some thinking. I needed a plan for just those type of days because I'm not very good at making up punishments on the fly and I certainly don't want to start a punishment chart. What a pain. 

Well, lo and behold, I found a really neat way to get the kids in check quickly and it works with any child who knows how to spend money. Even a 3 year old will understand that he'd better get his act together or he's going to be broke!


When one of my children cops an attitude I have him pay me money for that behavior.


For example, today one of my children, I won't name who, got all huffy throwing his hands in the air and whining, "What! I have to do math today! This is ridiculous!!" I put out my hand, he left the room and came back with $1. That's the price for rudeness, whining or disobedience just in case you don't know....One dollar! After that we had a little heart to heart to get to the bottom of his feelings and honestly I think he was just hungry! LOL He did fine after a banana.

Here's what has happened though, I actually look forward to times when my children decide to act up and disobey me. I think, "Yay! I'm 1/4 of the way to a Starbucks Latte!" 


Oh it works so well!

It occurred to me today that maybe I'm not supposed to feel good about taking my kids' money.

Is that bad?  Just wondering.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hey, we have to pay fines for breaking rules, don't we? Do you think the government feels bad about it? HA!

Catherine said...

Have you been talking to my dad? I had to pay him a dollar each time I neglected to make my bed and straighten my room before leaving for the day. Some days it was worth it, but most days I spent the few minutes rather than the dollar. I'm absolutely certain I'll have a similar system for my kids when they're old enough. Of course, then I'll probably have to make my bed, too...

momwithbrownies said...

Catherine,

Making my bed in not on the top of my list either! LOL

Holly said...

What happens when they run out of money? Ha, ha. I can't wait until my son is old enough to pay me for having an attitude problem! I'll join ya for a frappachino! :)

momwithbrownies said...

Hi Holly! :-)

We have a chore list with values placed next to each chore. When they run out of money, they do a chore..right then..that I assign to them. :-)

Here's our "Allowance Game"

http://www.icantbelievemylife.com/2007/07/issue-of-allowanceshort-vesion.html