CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

1/29/09

PEOPLE CROSSING or SO THIS IS WHAT THE WORLD LOOKS LIKE

In our home, with a new year comes new medical physicals. I like to get them all out of the way as soon as possible. This way, I don't have to think about medical appointments, dentists and/or eye appointments throughout the year. If you have a large family, this is one way to make sure everyone is seen at least once per year also, so there are no unknown conditions festering for too long.

This year we found out that Kole needs glasses. The ophthalmologist came to me after his exam to tell me that both eyes are affected. So, we had a chat with our 5 year old son and told him that he would need glasses. He was excited! LOL

A few days later, after a glitch was cleared up with our insurance, Kole and I made the 1.5 mile trek to our Doctor to pick out his glasses. He was very choosy. I had a pair that I liked but each time I handed them to him he would wave his hand and say, "No, I don't like these."

After a while, the technician came over to tell us about her favorite glasses for children. They bend, fold and smash without breaking. I very much like those but I didn't let on. She handed a few to Kole and after much time in the mirror he chose the glasses he wanted. No amount of ooohing and aaahing over other samples did anything to make him change his mind. So we bought the pair that cost money out of pocket, though only a small sum so I was obliged to pay the price above and beyond our insurance coverage.

After 1 week of waiting, yesterday, we got the call. Kole's glasses are in and waiting to be picked up. He bundled up ever so quickly and in the falling snow we trudged to the van. We arrived, he put on his glasses and smiled with such a smile as I have never seen. He was so quiet, though.

He hardly spoke a word. He answered the technicians questions with a nod or a wave but did not speak hardly at all. I was puzzled.



I chatted a bit with the doctor and ladies at the desk, then said our goodbye. I walked hand in hand with Kole out the door and to our van. He climbed in and put on his seat belt. As I contemplated why he was so quiet we pulled out onto the street. We had hardly gone a block when, from the back of our van, came a small voice...

"Mom, there's a two and a five on that sign."

"Yes, there is. That sign tells what price the gas is today."

Silence for a bit. We stop at a red light.

"Mom."

"Yes Kole, What's up?"

"I feel like my HEART has glasses. I think I'm so happy."

Immediate lump in my throat with slight tears in my eyes.

"I'm so happy that you are happy."

We turned the corner and drove to the next block.

"People Turning?! Why does that sign mean People Turning?"

"No honey, that sign means people are crossing the street. It means that I need to watch for people so we don't hit them."

"Oh"

And with that, the ride was over. In 1.5 miles I found out just how much our little Kole had missed in his 5 short years and just how much different the year 2009 will be for him.

9 comments:

Heather BT said...

I remember when I first got my glasses, I never knew that people could see the blades of glass under my feet. It was incredible.
We got Acer's glasses called recspecs at MIller optical at Riverland and Van Dyke. They're designed to take a sports ball to the face, and have straps to keep them on. If your guy ever pays sports I'd really recommend them. Acer wears them all the time for simple protection, but he's a different case.
Heather BT

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

that is so sweet. kids love glasses now days. it's 'hip.'

The Four Week Vegan said...

My dd got her first pair when she was 4 and she wore the same frames (needed new ones every year) until she outgrew the kids frames - she always said she would never wear contacts because she loved her glasses, well when she was 13 she decided contacts were the way to go.

So glad he likes them and is seeing the world anew.

Peanut Butter Kisses said...

I don't know what to say, he's just so darn cute.

HISchild said...

I remember feeling just like that but I was eleven. I could actually read signs and things from far away too.

Kelli said...

Oh that brought tears to my eyes! I'm glad he's happy with his glasses and how much more exciting things will be for him now that he sees better!

Anonymous said...

Awww ... so happy for the little tyke. A strange new world he's seeing now.

Sulawal said...

The same thing was happening with you was happening with me immediatly while I was reading these sentences "I feel like my HEART has glasses. I think I'm so happy."
I asked my aunt to take me to see the doctor when I was 11. I cried with no sound when the doctor told me about my eyes. Every time I had to change new pair of glasses I cried because I was affraid and had the question in my heart "Will someday come to me...someday I can't see the world"
Now everything is fine he he I used to it.
One thing I can say is my eyes are wonderful things which make me see this wonderful world. I have taken lots of pictures of beautiful things I have seen in my life but there's no any pictures can compare with those I have seen with my own eyes.
Wish you all love and happiness always,
KwamRakJakChan

Anonymous said...

That's how Benjamin was when he got his glasses too! We went to Daniel's work as soon as we were done at the doctors and he said you can see the Bass Pro Shop from Daddy's work. I was like, he has missed SOOOO much! Simple things we sometimes take for granted!