CHEAP AND YUMMY BROWNIE RECIPE!
6 TBSP cocoa, 1/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 C flour, 2 eggs, Cook 350 - 25 mins.

7/20/10

BLOGGING PERKS AND OUR FAMILY GROCERY MENU

There have been a few times, throughout the years of my blogging, that I have been offered free products, by various people (and sometimes companies), so that I could try the product and give my opinion about it on my little blog here.  It does surprise me when I get an email asking me to try this or that because, for the most part, I forget that people actually do read the words that I place here in the cyber world.

The reality is that, first and foremost, this blog is for my children.  I log our memories here so that I can have them bound into a hard cover book when I have enough memories to warrant a new one.  So far, we have 2 Mom with Brownies books in our possession and I hope to make many more as time passes.  This is our scrapbook...but I digress...

Regarding emails about free products; More often than not, I delete the email because this blog is more about logging memories for my children and less about trying out new products. The other issue I have with blogging about items that are sent to me, is that I worry I won't like the item.  If I don't like the item I would then have to send it back to the person, or company, and that would be one big waste of my time. So...I don't usually blog about free items...

However, I was recently sent an email from a woman who has made a book called "70 meals, One trip to the store."  Now THAT intrigued me.  I have been trying to get a grocery and menu plan together for this family for many years.  At times I feel as though I've gotten our ducks in a row and at others I feel that I'm totally failing in this venture.  I decided to answer the email and agreed to take the 70 Meals Challenge.  I have agreed to try her plan to see if it is the ticket to curing my dinner planning woes.

I joined her website, entered her contest to win free smart ingredients and "liked" her page on Facebook.  I will blog about our experience with the book as time goes by.

Yesterday, Kazz, Becca and Kole went to the store to buy the groceries.  Yes, I sent 3 of our children to the store with the list.  The semi-annual and weekly grocery lists are spelled out well in the book so I just typed it up, and DOUBLED THE AMOUNTS...because we have 8 people in our family and the recipes are for families of four.  I also added foods for breakfast and lunch for our family.  We eat cereals, yogurt, fruits and sandwiches for breakfast and lunch...for the most part.


The first task went off without a hitch.  I handed them $300.00 and asked Kazz to cover any overage with his own cash if need-be; and Off They Went.

As you can see by the pictures they had 3 baskets full of groceries BUT, to my sweet, sweet surprise, they only spent a grand total of $271.23 between Save-A-Lot and our local market with $196.23 of that spent at Save-A-Lot.

I will try very hard to log what we eat for the next month and what I have to buy to create more meals as supplies dwindle.  Hopefully this helps us get a grip on our grocery spending, stop eating out for quick meals and begin saving money! :o) 

Last night, we ate the yummy Kitchen sink meatloaf recipe, white rice and fruit.  I have decided to make white rice with most of our meals as a filler.  I've also toyed with the idea of brown rice, but decided against it as I'm making meals that are nutritionally sound and the rice is meant to fill the void if a recipe is not very filling.

This morning the kids had yogurt and fruit for breakfast and we had Bologna sandwiches and veggie chips for lunch.

Tonight is our eldest son's 18th birthday so we will eat out and have a family night tonight.

That's the beginning!  Snacks are cereals and fruits and veggies, by the way...and the odd 1/2 PB&J sandwich.

The recipes in this book don't have crazy ingredients that would break our budget.  I took a quick peek at the recipes and quickly discovered that they are mostly the time-proven, All-American meals that most everyone would enjoy. I recognize and use almost every item on the recipe lists.

I have high hopes for this plan.  If it saves us money too, I'm going to be one happy camper!

I have $28.77 to spend for the next two weeks.  We'll see if that holds.  We usually spend over $600 for groceries, which really chaps my hide, because I used to have that bill down to under $400 for the month...but that was before the boys grew and our family increased by one more...and a fiancee.  :o)  I will be happy as a lark to feed our crew for anywhere near $600.00 per month.  We'll see how it goes. 


I'll be posting updates as the days pass.  I am so very hopeful that this little plan will be just what I need to finally answer the question, What's for dinner AND save us money!!

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Sounds interesting, Shelly! Is Becca family now? :o) You are a brave lady. I don't know if I could hand my 18 year old $300 to go grocery shopping list in hand or not. He'd call me 500 times! If you only knew!!! LOL